Providence is calling an experienced Registered Nurse to be a Clinician in our Palliative Care Unit at Providence Health & Services in Centralia, WA.
We are seeking a Registered Nurse Clinician Palliative Care to
assist the Palliative Care Service team in responding to and triaging and assigning referrals; educating/mentoring nurses and other clinicians and non-clinicians in evidence-based palliative care; assisting the Care Coordinator in discharge planning and/or entry into the hospice program; and functioning as a case manager for patients throughout the continuum of care. The Palliative Care Nurse may be required to travel to select sites in the Southwest Washington Region to provide care and develop the program.
This is a 0.6 FTE (24 hours per week), dayshift position.
In this position you will:
- Support palliative care physician consultations for hospitalized patients needing acute palliative or Hospice care by obtaining patient history, relevant family background, legal surrogate information and clarification of patient's/family's understanding of illness and treatment options.
- Communicate with patient, family, agent, and interdisciplinary team members about pertinent clinical information, palliative care and end-of-life issues.
- Discuss potential impact of patient/family decisions on stewardship of their personal resources.
- Identify ethical/moral conflicts and refers to the Ethics Committee for assistance as needed.
- Collaborate with attending physicians, hospital and Outpatient staff, Nurse Navigators, consultants, palliative physicians and interdisciplinary team regarding patient care treatment and services.
- Assist care coordinator in appropriate utilization for acute palliative care services through active and timely responses to referrals, facilitation of transfers from Critical Care and other units, and early discharge planning.
- Ensure validity of data base by documenting complete, accurate and timely information that can be readily entered into the Palliative Care database.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Active WA Registered Nurse License.
- Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN).
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider card must be from the following authorized governing bodies: American Heart Association (AHA), American Red Cross (ARC), or Military Training Network (MTN) upon hire.
- Three years clinical experience in a hospital acute care setting with a background in medical, oncology, or hospice nursing.
- ELNEC Core Training and/or Hospice Education Network core curriculum training or ability to complete training within 6 months of hire.
- Must actively work to complete Hospice of Palliative Care Nursing Certification within 2 years of hire.
- Proficiency in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Proficiency in using computers.
- Experience in staff development, education, and precepting nurses and other clinicians.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
- Experience as a Palliative Care RN.
- Proficiency using Excel.
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Centralia Hospital in Centralia, Washington is a 127-bed, not-for-profit hospital providing emergency, diagnostic, cancer, birthing and surgical services. It consistently receives high scores on accreditation surveys by the Joint Commission, the Washington Department of Health and the Washington Department of Social and Health Services.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Req ID: 153015